Monday, March 4, 2013

Padow’s Hams and Deli

648 Southpark Blvd  
Colonial Heights, VA 23834

               
                Even though it has been in Colonial Heights my whole life, until a week ago I had never eaten at Padow’s. I’ve always heard good things and have wanted to check it out but it always seemed to be closed when I want to eat there and am in the area.  But after a dentist appointment last week I finally found my chance. 
                Padow’s is in a building that is attached to Adolph’s clothing (another establishment that I do not frequent enough) in front of K-Mart and Michaels in Colonial Heights.   Inside it is very simple, pretty much just a deli with a couple of tables and chairs and various things for sale.  Behind the deli counter is a huge chalk board with every sort or meat, cheese and bread combo imaginable, along with a make your own menu.  After much deliberation I decided on Pastrami on marble rye with gruyere cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing, toasted and warmed, served with a pickle.  Around $9.00 it was a little high for a sandwich but it looked and smelled so delicious I didn’t care.
                For as good as it smelled and looked it tasted even better. The pastrami was tender and delicious, the cheese perfectly melted and the cole slaw and Russian dressing added a creamy sweetness that complemented the salty meatiness.  The crisp toasted bread held it all together to make one of the best sandwiches I have had in a long time and probably the best sandwich I’ve ever gotten anywhere in Colonial Heights.  This thing was not huge like many of the monstereous deli sandwiches that are featured on TV these days but it packed more deliciousness into one sandwich than I ever thought possible.  (For those who don’t know what Russian dressing is; it is a lot like sweet Catalina French dressing, at the lest the one at Padow’s is)
                All I can say is that you really need to treat yourself to a sandwich at Padow’s. They have something for every taste, except maybe vegetarians but why would a vegetarian go to a deli anyway, and you can make any sort of delicious combination that you can think of.  Much like any great food, you get what you pay for and the little bit extra you pay at Padow’s you get back tenfold in freshness and flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment