Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fish Fry

3815 Jefferson Park Rd
Prince George, VA 23875




 

       Working in Hopewell, I met Amanda for lunch and decided to try Fish Fry. I have wanted to try Fish fry for the longest time but have never had the opportunity to do so. Fish Fry is housed where Mamasita’s used to be right off of Jefferson Park near Hopewell. Walking in the place was sparsely decorated and what decorations were there seemed thrown about as an afterthought. There were only two other customers in the place and the radio was blasting some god awful rap music cranked up to presumably 11.

As we walked up to the counter we realized that only one person was there and he was making the other customers’food. We looked over the menu wish consisted of fish sandwiches, wings, fried shrimp, oysters, crab cakes and a few other random things. Everything was very reasonably priced and many of the items sounded very tasty. So we waited for about 10 minutes which actually seems like an eternity when you are standing at a counter trying to order food. After he was done making their food and serving them he came back to take our order. At first I ordered their coconut shrimp, they were out of coconut, I then ordered the shrimp and grits, they were out of grits, finally I just ordered a fish sandwich combo which they thankfully had. The fish sandwich combo served with fries and drink is $6; I substituted mac and cheese for the fries which costs an extra dollar, very reasonable in my opinion.

Amanda and I took our seats and chatted as the man made our food. After about 15 minutes or so our food was ready. It came out obviously freshly prepared because it was piping hot. My fish sandwich consisted of two pieces of a fish fillet on white bread with a side of homemade tartar sauce which is exactly how I like it. While not the largest piece of fish in the world it partially hung off both sides. The fish was fried in a very nice batter that was perfectly seasoned. The mac and cheese came in a little dish and was homemade and loaded with cheese. Both the sandwich and the mac and cheese were very good.

I am looking forward to the next time that I will get a chance to eat at Fish Fry. I really want to try the coconut shrimp and shrimp and grits. The food at Fish Fry is very good and is fresh and made to order. I do think that they need to have more than one person working at lunch though because I had to wait quite a while for my food. It could also stand to step up its décor A LOT! But overall it was pretty dang good and I recommend trying it out yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment