Thursday, June 28, 2012

Burger King’s Memphis BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich and Sweet Potato Fries



Recently I was asked to review Burger King’s new Memphis BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich and Sweet potato fries. It costs $6.80 for a small combo with an upgrade to sweet potato fries. Burger King describes its sandwich as “pulled pork with the hickory-smoked and sweet flavor of Memphis BBQ Sauce, topped with sliced onions, and a sweet southern sauce, all on a warm, toasted artisan-style bun”. The description sounds very tasty and in theory it was true. The sandwich did have store bought style pulled pork that was smothered in a sweet BBQ sauce and it may have been smoked but I could not taste it. The pork was stringy and mushy. It was topped with sliced onions. The sandwich was soft and mushy but the raw onions were not, this made biting into them extremely hard so usually they came off of the sandwich whole with each bite. The sweet southern sauce was pretty good but I could not place the taste. It tasted good by itself but one the sandwich it was lost in the blend with the sauce already on the pork. The artisan bun was lukewarm but it was a bite fancier than their regular buns. It was very soft and fluffy but did not have much taste to it. My main complaint about the sandwich is that it is very soft, mushy and a little soggy. It was also very sweet. It tasted good enough but is a far cry from a freshly smoked BBQ sandwich.

The sweet potato fries were skinny and almost the size of shoe string fries. They were salted and nice and crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside. But they tasted funny. I love sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries but these ones had an odd taste to them. It was not horrible but I definitely did not love them. Honestly, I prefer sweet sweet potatoes fries sprinkled with cinnamon sugar instead of salt. I don’t think that the sweetness of the potatoes pair well with salt but that’s just me.

To sum it up, for a BBQ sandwich from a fast food restaurant I guess that it is alright. It certainly is BBQy but it lacks the smokiness that I love in pulled pork and even though I love sweet BBQ it was actually almost too sweet. Consistency was its major downfall. It basically fell apart and was just too mushy. The sweet potato fries might be healthier than regular fries but these ones certainly did not taste any better.  If you’re dying for BBQ this will work in a pinch but I suggest saving your money and going to a real BBQ restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment