Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spike's

100 North Sycamore Street

 Petersburg, VA 23803


        A while ago I was in downtown Petersburg around lunch time and I decided to try out Spike’s. I had wanted to check it out for quite some time but every time I drove past was either not hungry or it was closed. This time I finally hit the jackpot I was hungry and it was open. Spike’s is a few blocks up Sycamore Street away from the “downtown” area of Petersburg that I usually frequent. Even though it is literally just three blocks away it seems like a different world with a completely different atmosphere and clientele. Undaunted I parked and went inside.

Inside it is your typical diner, tables scattered about a walk up counter with a short order kitchen right out in the open. I’m not going to lie; I was a bit surprised when I saw an Asian couple behind the counter making orders and cooking up orders. When I think of a Spike I typically do not think of an Asian person but once again stereotypes are proven wrong. Spike’s serves both breakfast and lunch. Both are your usual diner menus. For lunch there were burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, and teriyaki dishes. I decided to try their fish sub, fries and a drink for about $8.00.

In a little less than 10 minutes I had my sub and fries. I must say I was a little upset when I saw my sub because in place of the large pieces of freshly fried I expected were 4 fish sticks topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and tartar sauce on a sub roll. The fish was freshly fried but it was obvious that they were premade, frozen fish sticks. It was not terribly bad but it was also nothing special. Two pieces of fried fish fillets would have been just as easy and tasted twice as good. I’m not positive but I worry that short cuts like these may be prevalent throughout the menu which would make the whole place subpar at best.

With such awesome restaurants within walking distance Spike’s needs to step its game up or else it will be left in the dust. The food was served A LOT faster than it is at Longstreet’s but it lacked the flavor and creativity. The food at Spike’s was simple, which if done well can be the best, but mediocre. More than likely, I will not be going back to Spike’s not because it was horrible but because I can easily walk down the street to five different restaurants and get a better meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment